Saturday, April 23, 2016

New Review! Hidden in Lies by Rachael Duncan, 5 Cranky Stars



Hidden in Lies is the first book I've read by this author. Hot, steamy, suspenseful with twists and turns, it ends with a boom of a cliffhanger. Brace yourself!

Elizabeth grew up in a family where money was tight. Her parents had love, but financial strain took its toll. Her mother always told her to marry for money and that is what she did. 

Her husband, Cal, is a Senator running for President. Elizabeth is miserable, but wears the smile, acts the good wife, and stands by her man. 

Cal is a horrible man, selfish, abusive, and skirts the line of marital rape. Elizabeth speaks when spoken to and when Cal deems fit. She is an object.

Enter Alex: ex military and hired to protect Elizabeth. He brings her back out from underneath the misery and into the light. He gives Elizabeth the chance for reflection, to really see her life, and imagine the possibility of another one.

It tears at Elizabeth's soul. She doesn't want to disappoint her mother. She doesn't want to walk out on Cal at a critical time. It's the dilemma between following your heart or listening to your head.

I ran the full gamut of emotions with this book. I yelled at my kindle. The twists and turns had me on the edge of my seat. 

At first, I found Elizabeth challenging as a character. She came off as narcissistic and materialistic. As the story unfolded, I was better able to understand her motivations.
Alex is yummy and there's more to him. I can't wait for the second book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home