Sunday, October 30, 2016

Cranky Halloween: New Review! Cast No Shadows by Curiosity Quills, 3 Cranky Stars

Cast No Shadows (Curiosity Quills Anthology)Cast No Shadows by Jordan Elizabeth Mierek
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



*** 3 Cranky Stars ***

This is a somewhat difficult review to write. Cast No Shadows is an anthology listed as “horror” on Amazon. My rating is based on an average from all the short stories I read.



As a horror fan, I grabbed this with glee. I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed. I think it’s the type of horror anthology that would appeal to YA, rather than hard-core horror nuts like me.



There are twenty-six authors and thirty-six short stories. Herein lay some of my issues. There is a difference in quality - some of the stories are fantastic and others are somewhat lackluster.



I read some of the short stories wanting more. I still hope there’s more to come because they were intriguing. Others, well, not so much. They needed more work and the anthology would have been stronger without their inclusion.



Some of the greatest treasures are buried toward the back of the book. Personally, I felt they needed to be up toward the front. The anthology would be stronger if it was reordered and reduced.



In saying all this, I would still recommend this book to people who like creepy more than scary. It is a treasure hunt, but when you find the gold, it really does glitter.


View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home