Wednesday, August 30, 2017

New Review! Captivated by Crimson by Brynn Myers, 4 Cranky Stars!


Captivated by CrimsonCaptivated by Crimson by Brynn Myers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

**** 4 Cranky Stars! ****



Welcome to a new breed of vampires!



These vampires are not simply bloodsuckers, they are descendants from gods. Meet The Sanguines, the purebloods. These vampires are children of Nyx, the Greek Goddess of Night. They are blessed (or cursed) with supernatural powers of life and death. They can walk among human day or night. And no, they don’t sparkle in the daylight.



However, with greatness always comes strife when other vampires wanted to kill the purebloods to assume their powers. These rebels built an army of ferals hoping to overtake the purebloods by their sheer numbers. But even within their, treachery arose fighting over who would be the true ruler of the ferals.



The story began with Erzsebeth, self-proclaimed queen of the ferals, who had been imprisoned by one of the purebloods, Andrik. Somehow she manages to escape and began building her army of ferals. Andrik, together with his friends, went in pursuit hoping to finally end Erzsebeth’s madness.



Nola, or Magnolia Blair according to her birth certificate, happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time and came across ferals who were out on a prowl on night. Lucky for her, Andrik came along and managed to save her by feeding her his blood before she beathed her final breath. This act linked her life to Andrik unbeknownst to her and changed her life forever.



Andrik on the other hand began feeling more than a blood connection to this simple human as he found out that she was connected to their pursuit in finding Erzsebeth. No matter how many times he tried to stay away, he finds himself drawn to her again and again. Until passion ignited and sealed the bond between them.



So, this love affair is HOT. Somebody get me a fan!



The storyline was new and interesting. I’ve never read of vampires coming from the lines of the gods before. Devil, yes but not gods. The pacing of the story was fast but not too fast that you’d get lost. There were several likable characters and each of them had been integral to the flow of the story.



One downside of having several characters though is that their presence in the scenes can change the flow of the story or influence the reader’s attention and possibly distract from the main plot. Take Reese for example who wanted nothing more than to find her nemesis and kill her. Her strong personality took root into me and I was really hoping that she would her get chance. But when that chance came, her triumph had been overshadowed by what was happening to another character, albeit the main character, so I didn’t get to enjoy that moment when I wanted to cheer for her. Get the drift?



Another issue I had was that everything was going 110% for me then nearing the end of the book, it derailed. Had the author stopped at a certain point and told me “The end, find the second book” I would have been happier. But what happened was, the “collective finale” for everyone just came all at the same time and kinda ruined the ending for me.



Don’t take me wrong, this is a happily ever after ending. Just too happy and went too smoothly. I shouldn’t really sound too grumpy about it since the good guys won and the bad guys lost. But it was like watching a Steven Seagal film, he is just soo good that he just flicks his hand and people die, no blood, no mess and his hair is still perfect.



BUT apart from that, I really did enjoy reading this book. I didn’t even notice what was missing under after I came down from the throes of passion, looked around and cleared my mind. Because did I mention it was HOT?



Please, don’t let this grumpy reviewer stop you from picking up this book. In fact, pick this one up and prove me wrong.

View all my reviews

1 Comments:

At August 31, 2017 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this great review! I'm so happy you enjoyed Captivated by Crimson and I'm passing you a fan! :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home